The Casualties........a summary
As a result of the air-raid a total of 116 people were killed or died of injuries sustained.
This figure is broken down as:
- 110 British fatalities
- 6 German Luftwaffe fatalities
The 110 British deaths are broken down as:
- 83 householders (including two casualties who died much later)
- 15 military personnel
- 4 members of the ARP
- 6 members of the Firewatch
- 1 member of the National Fire Service
- 1 member of St John's Ambulance
The 15 military personnel are broken down as:
- 7 personnel at RAF Clifton
- 1 member of the RAF Bomb Disposal Squad
- 1 member of the ATS
- 6 members of the Armed Forces who were assisting with Civil Defence
In addition to those killed there were over two hundred people injured (to varying degrees) plus an unknown number suffering from shock.
Six Luftwaffe aircrew were captured, several with severe injuries.