Hornsea Mere is the largest freshwater lake in Yorkshire and the final remnant of a huge wetland that once contained many smaller lakes and marshy areas.
A Royal Naval Air Service base was located on this small peninsula that sticks out westwards from the eastern shore.
There were two Bessonneau hangars (wood & canvas) and two slipways which allowed a dozen seaplanes to be operated from the base. These aircraft flew coastal protection and submarine attack operations.
The workhorse of the squadron was the Short Admiralty Type 184 seaplane.
A number of brick buildings left behind by the RAF in 1919 are still in use today - used by the boatyard and the current cafe.
Click the image above or this link to read more information about the use of the mere by seaplanes (opens in a new window).